How to Make a Nut Butter
Consider this your one-stop resource for how to make nut butter at home! It’s so easy, often requires just 1 (or 2) ingredients, and comes together in less than 30 minutes!
First, choose your base.
I love starting with raw, organic almonds. Then I mix in a few walnuts for omega-3s. However, hazelnuts make a delicious butter on their own, as do pecans. So many nuts to choose from!
Or, go for seeds! Sunflower seeds make amazing butter, too. I include links to several recipes below.
Hazelnuts have skins, which often shed during roasting. So it’s best to remove those before blending (see photo below).
Then, it’s nut butter time!
Either use a food processor or high-speed blender to creamy a creamy, delicious nut butter.
Just 1 ingredient – that’s right! No oil, water, or sweetener. In fact, adding in ingredients like oil, water, or even maple syrup tend to disrupt the creamy texture and shouldn’t be added.
The blending process generally takes 10-12 minutes, so be patient! It’s worth the wait.
While your nut butter is blending, you can choose a few add-ins (if desired).
My go-tos are sea salt and flax seed. But you could also add hemp seed, chia seed, coconut butter, a dash of vanilla, or even dark chocolate! Dark chocolate + hazelnuts = NUTELLA. I know! It’s amazing.
That’s it! You nut butter made at home. It’s that easy.
Plus, making your own nut butter allows you to create your own blends, add fun mix-ins, control salt content, AND save money! So awesome. See my favorite nut butter recipes below in the recipe.
If you try making nut butter, let us know how it goes! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram!
HOW TO MAKE NUT BUTTER
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
A step-by-step guide for how to make your own nut butter. An easy and delicious way to save money, create your own blends, and enjoy nut butter at home!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Sauce
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Serves: ~ 1.5 cups (24 Tbsp)
- 3 cups (~450 g) raw (or sprouted) nuts (my favorites = almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts // organic unpasteurized when possible)
- Sea salt to taste (~1/2 tsp)
- Vanilla extract to taste
- Hemp seeds
- Flax seeds
- Chia seeds
- Coconut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and add raw nuts to the baking sheet. If sprouted, nuts won’t need as long to roast and benefit from a 5-8 minute roast at a lower temperature (325 F or 162 C). Roast raw nuts for 8-12 minutes, or until fragrant and slightly golden brown.
- If roasting hazelnuts, remove from oven once toasted and transfer to a clean dish towel. Rub the hazelnuts against one another using the towel to remove the skins (see photo). Removing most of the skins is preferred (not all will come off).
- Add roasted nuts to a food processor or blender and blend / mix until a creamy butter forms. The nuts should go from whole, to meal, to clumps, to creamy nut butter. This can take up to 10-12 or more minutes so be patient. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Once creamy, add salt (or other add-ins) to taste. Then transfer to a clean jar or container and store in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks (sometimes longer).
- Some other variations include: Super Seedy Sunflower Butter, Vegan Nutella, and Almond Joy Butter!
Serving size: 1 of 24 Tbsp Calories: 104 Fat: 9 g Saturated fat: 0.7 g Carbohydrates: 3.8 g Sugar: 0.8 g Sodium: 0 mg Fiber: 2.2 g Protein: 3.8 g