How to Make Kale Chips
These kale chips are foolproof. By baking at a low temperature for a longer period of time, the kale gets crispy without browning or burning, yielding perfect chips every time.
This recipe is versatile and can be modified to include whatever flavors or seasonings you desire. I include a few options below.
HOW TO MAKE KALE CHIPS
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Foolproof kale chips that are crispy, easy to make, and so versatile! Just 30 minutes required for this healthy, simple snack.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Side, Snack
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 large bundle curly green or purple kale
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) melted coconut or avocado oil
- Seasonings of choice (i.e. pinch sea salt, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp curry powder, 1
- Tbsp nutritional yeast, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F (107 C). Use convection bake if you have it to speed cooking time and help chips crisp up even more.
- Rinse and thoroughly dry kale, then tear into small pieces and discard any large stems.
- Add to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil and seasonings of choice. Toss thoroughly to combine, using hands to distribute the oil and seasonings evenly.
- Spread the kale over 2 large baking sheets, ensuring the kale touches as little as possible to help them crisp while baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the pans around and lightly toss/stir kale to ensure even baking. Bake for 5-10 minutes more, or until kale is crispy and very slight golden brown. Watch closely as it can burn easily.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly – chips will crisp up even more once out of the oven.
- Enjoy immediately! Best when fresh. Store leftovers covered at room temperature for 2-3 days.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 4 servings calculated with 1 Tbsp oil and no seasonings.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe without seasonings Calories: 69 Fat: 3.8 g Saturated fat: 3.2 g Carbohydrates: 7.8 g Sugar: 0 g Sodium: 32 mg Fiber: 1.1 g Protein: 2.2 g